Friday, June 1, 2007

Dorothy Wordsworth

Dorothy Wordsworth lived in the shadow of her brother, though she was herself an excellent writer. It was only during the Romantic era that people saw female poets and writers emerging as a legitimate source of literature. Professor Glance was kind enough to make an observation concerning Dorothy Wordsworth's writings that I agree with (to an extent), being that her poetry is inferior to her prose. Certainly her poetry is good, it is without a doubt better than anything I could produce, but it is her prose that is most captivating. Her prose writing shows daily observations of social decline in England, namely the abject poverty many people are forced into and the occupation of begging that they take up. In one of her letters, Dorothy Wordsworth states that she met a woman who "had buried her husband & three children within a year & a half - all in one grave - burying very dear - paupers all put in one place - 20 shillings paid for as much ground as will bury a man - a stone to put over it or the right will be lost" (Wordsworth 295). There are a number of reasons for this woman's children and husband to have died. Perhaps a congenital illness the children inherited from their father or perhaps tuberculosis. Whatever it was that killed them it can be said with some great confidence that their poor state in life had hurried them on their way. What frightens me about the writings of Dorothy Wordsworth is how normal all this seems. It would be hard for me to imagine seeing the kind of poverty she sees without being disturbed by it, yet she seems to accept it. I suppose it is mostly the same, however, as the homeless people seen in large urban areas. Yet, it is still a novelty to someone like me who lives in a town with virtually no homeless.

4 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Jay,
Excellent discussion of Dorothy Wordsworth's journal. I like the way you take a small, apparently mundane passage and discuss its significance. Nice work.

kyle mcnease said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kyle mcnease said...

kyle mcnease said...

Jay, hows about this line:"had buried her husband & three children within a year & a half - all in one grave - burying very dear - paupers all put in one place - 20 shillings paid for as much ground as will bury a man - a stone to put over it or the right will be lost"? paupers all put in one place? I truly loved this line the very first time I came across it. Let me go on record as saying- hmmmm (clears his throat and steps to the microphone) I agree with Dr. Glance. That's right! I agree with him :) Maybe I am growing partial to the ole Professor? He is correct, though. You have taken a seemingly mundane passage and brought it to a place of prominence. Good work. As for your question tonight about my grade and the comment you made following...I appreciate the kindness that everyone has offered me this semester. I am in no way smarter than anyone else, though. I am older! Probably older than almost everyone save Dr. Glance and maybe one other idividual. At any rate, with age comes a necessary amount of living (and if you are a living literary student...lots of reading comes as well). I have been very blessed in my academic studies. Great professors and terrific classes. I have also worked my myself to the bone! Truth is...I am actually one of the slowest readers you have ever not met? What you could read in an hour would take me much longer (or so it was the case until recently). Within the problem of very slow reading bloomed a beautiful ability to remember texts very well. I seldom reread things because I usually remember the quotes and where they are in the text. It was not until about six months ago that we made a discovery that is helping me tremendously. I did not know that I had something very similar to dyslexia. My natural tendency is to look at the end of the word and scan it then read it. So, in essence I am reading everything twice or was. Now that the problem has been pointed out to me, I am moving along rapidly. Spelling, however, is a different subject! Again, thanks for the comment-even if in jest I would take it to heart as a compliment!

Jay, you do good work. That is the most important thing-that you are willing to do the work! Many men are smarter than us by degrees which we cannot measure or begin to fathom. But, we will work as long as we are given the grace to remain on this land of sod. Keep working! Work at your craft and I think it will carry you far beyond where you imagine yourself to be in the future. Persist in good work because you do good work!

-kyle

Andrew Price said...

It too was hard to believe how she talked about some of the things like it was everyday stuff. Good job on analyzing something specific in her journals. We do see some poverty today, but I'm sure it was nothing like some of the hardships which she saw in her life. Sometimes I think that we have it much easier today. Nice post.