Wednesday, June 20, 2007

T.S. Eliot

"The Waste Land" is one of the most widely read poems in the world and one of the least understood. My only prior knowledge of this poem was a mention of it in a Steven King novel I have read and even so they were merely prologue excerpts of the poem. Also, my sister, who is six years my senior, told me two things about the poem. One is that the only line she remembered was "April is the cruelest month" and that she preferred Yeats's poem "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock." As such, I went into this poem expecting an unenjoyable and morbid tale. I was not disappointed. While the tale may be morbid and I may not have enjoyed it I still understood it, or so I think I did. The eponymous "Waste Land" is Europe and it is not a physical wasteland but a metaphysical one. The people of Europe have been shaped into cold, emotionless people with poor relationships with one another. The concept of death, which Yeats explores throughout the poem, is more of a death of spirit and of hope. Eliot shows that the "interpersonal malaise" that had fallen over modern Europe was the wound that caused the Wasteland. What I noticed about the poem (through the help of the footnotes) was how "the Waste Land" moves from one person and place to the next. Eliot describes how the cold hard world of Europe is like "dry sterile thunder without rain" and the world as a mountain with "no water but only rock" (Eliot 1212). This is my belief of how Eliot sees Europe: capable of making sounds but otherwise impotent and without the ability to affect the dry mountain.

6 comments:

kyle mcnease said...

Jay,

You make a great point at the end when you write "Eliot describes how the cold hard world of Europe is like "dry sterile thunder without rain" and the world as a mountain with "no water but only rock" (Eliot 1212). This is my belief of how Eliot sees Europe: capable of making sounds but otherwise impotent and without the ability to affect the dry mountain." Very well stated. Impotent is such a powerful word in any context! This is one of the better posts I have read on this topic! Eliot can be so agrivatingly difficult to grasp at times but perhaps you have struck a vein?

-kyle

Jonathan.Glance said...

Jay,

Good comments on Eliot's "The Wasteland." I think your observations are on target, as far as they go. This is perhaps the most important incomprehensible poem in English literature, and changed the way poets approached their art.

Congratulations on achieving your 20th posting!

Jeremy said...

Jay,

I enjoyed your comments on The Wasteland. It was a very hard poem to comprehend, but I think you nailed some of the key issues. I as well enjoyed your analysis of Europe as a impotent force. I was wondering what your favorite passage was in this poem? It has so many descriptive and maddening stanzas that i was wondering which one captivated you the most?

Jeremy

Robert Adamson said...

Jay,

I really enjoyed your comments on "The Wasteland". You did an excellent job anylizing some of the things Eliot was talking about and it even helped me to better understand the poem. good job

LaDonna said...

wow, you did a really good job with your interpretation. ill have to go back and reread this one in my spare tim ekeeping in mind what you wrote so i can enjoy it. good work

Antoine Mincy said...

I will agree with you on this poem as to how misuderstood it is to others. I myself had all types of different notions that did not make since about this work. If it was not without some outside help I would have let this just be a mystery. Even though everything is not understood I enjoyed the work and your blog helped me get closer to further understanding it.