Sunday, June 17, 2007

Thomas Hardy

Hardy's "Epitaph" seemed to be a strange piece for him to write, especially at the time he did. Hardy died in 1928 and this particular poem was written in 1899. Some people may write their epitaph if they think they are near death, but I do not recall Hardy suffering any severe illness at this time. For whatever reason Hardy wrote "Epitaph" (and it may not even be an epitaph for himself) the poem contains many wordings which I find somewhat difficult to interpret. In the opening lines of the poem, the speaker states that "I never cared for life: Life cared for me, and hence I owed it some fidelity" (Hardy 1079). In saying this, does Hardy mean that the world cared whether he lived or died or does he mean that he feels that life treated him well? Further, when Hardy says he owes life some fidelity, the question arises How can one owe fidelity, which usually means loyalty, duty, or service, to an abstract concept such as life? Later, in the closing of the poem, Hardy writes "'though didst ask no ill-advised reward, Nor sought in me much more than thou couldst find'" (Hardy 1079). This ill-advised reward may be many things, but one idea that comes to mind is the old idea that the things men most want are the things absolutely worst for them. These things such as money, power, distinction, and longer life are amongst the rewards most men would hope to get out of life and I believe Hardy did not want them.

6 comments:

kyle mcnease said...

Jay,

Good thoughts. I wonder if perhaps Epitaph was more of a looking forward? He didn't care about life but life kept him alive and thus Hardy owed it to life...to remain alive, to be faithful. Maybe he is glancing around the bend and seeing what will be said to him or what he wishes will be said to him. Perhaps he did not have a "grave" illness at this time in his life-- but perhaps he did? He had a dis-ease of life. He was uneasy with the nature of life and being, something that may not come out as much in his poetry but is monstrous in his novels. Thought provoking!

-kyle

Jonathan.Glance said...

Jay,

Good exploration of some possible meanings in Hardy's "Epitaph." I think it is often a good tactic to take a poem whose meaning is not clear and to speculate on why the poet wrote it in this way.

Kelly Blount said...

Jay,

I really enjoyed your interpretation of the poem. I seems that you have thought this out well. I especially liked when bring up two opposing questions from the opening line. Personally, I think he is saying that life care if he lives or dies.

Adamssd said...

I had a hard time understanding this poem so I'm glad you broke it down for me. I agree that the things we often want most are the things that are not the best for us.

Robert Adamson said...

jay,
it was nice to see that someone else had a hard time understanding the meaning of this poem. I think that you did a great job of breaking Hardy's "Epitaph" down into several fundamental questions. i have to admit that i still am not entirly sure how to answer those questions but i do feel like the questions themselve offer insight. Good job Jay!

Unknown said...

I like your thoughts from Hardy. I agree with Jay. I think he may have thought that life had treated him so well he felt he "owed" it something. I picture him as the old man on the bench you pass everyday and never see without a smile.